Slow Download/Upload Speed

At first I wanted to use Twingate for routing all network traffic, but when I did and did a speed test my download speeds were awful. I’m talking like 3mb/s when both my local and remote networks have gigabit internet.

So I decided that I wasn’t going to do that. So then I was testing the upload/download speed to my nas which I added by mapping the network drive to my File Explorer and that was still just as bad. I removed the “*” and “0.0.0.0/0” resources prior to testing so I knew the traffic was not going through my ISP to reach the network drives.

Can anyone help me figure out why my speeds are so slow. Currently in Bahrain and NAS is in U.S East. Is it possible that its just the distance thats causing the speeds with the Latency?

Thanks in Advance – Ryan

It could be a combination of a few factors, your closest Twingate relay is in Tel Aviv, so there’s a bit of distance there, and then you’re going across the pond in a big way. Are you able to test “direct” connection from your location there to the NAS to see if you get much better speeds? We normally expect a small impact to performance but this sounds awfully severe.

Thanks,

-arthur

We have at least one of our computers experiencing similar performance degradation.

The computer has a single-hop route an internal server running a speedtest application.

Without TwinGate installed, the connection is around 900Mbps +/- up and down. With TwinGate running, the connection is around 6Mbps down and 130Mbps +/- up.

Hey @rotschyinc

Looking at the analytics for your connections - it appears stuff is going out over the Relay network rather than the direct connect route, which is likely the cause of the speeds you’re seeing.

When you say the speedtest server is one hop away, are you on the same local network as the server, but connected to Twingate?

We’re currently testing a feature that can assist in situations like this, and I have gone ahead and enabled it on your account, so I’d appreciate it f you can try the speedtest again and let me know if you see any change in behaviour.

Thanks,

-arthur

Yes, two local subnets with a single router between them.

The speed seems the same today on the affected system. The same user account, on another system, on the same network, seems to have much better performance. This could be something on the client-side.

Odd that another system is performing much better. Perhaps something is up with the NIC in the original system? Though you’d expect that would affect the “non-Twingate” speedtest as well…

I am trying to make a direct connection between my client devices and resources when they are on the same network. Is that something that should already be happening or do you need to enable it on my account?

Everything is showing as relay regardless of the network I am on.

@mostlychris there is yes, if you want to DM me your network name I’ll check your setup and see if it needs to be turned on.

@Ben It doesn’t look like I can DM. Is that because I’m brand new on this forum?