On premises connectors

Hi !

I’m very happy with Twingate. Still testing but so far I managed to have very good access to my NAS and other resources on premises (at home). I’m very happy to be able to avoid a self hosted VPN on my NAS because it was really too slow to be suitable for any purpose. Also very happy to not open any port on my router as it is a real security risk. So far so good, everything is working fine and smoothly.

Just one quick question though : I already checked all your docs and tutorials on your website but haven’t found a very precise answer : At the moment, for my testing I used 2 Raspberry Pi’s a Pi4 and a Pi3. I know both have different LAN specs (Pi4 isGb but Pi3 is only 100Mbps). I’d like to buy 2 exactly similar devices, with at least 1 Gbe LAN, eventually 2,5Gb LAN. I understand, as explained on your website, that the capacity of the LAN for these items is very important, probably number one to consider.

I won’t use these devices for any other purposes. My plan is to only use them to deploy 2 connectors (one on each) for my Network. Therefore I don’t need a lot of CPU or RAM or any Video output, WiFi, Bluetooth.

What would you recommend toi make sure that I optimize my network access via Twingate ?

Many Thanks in advance,

This is great! It looks like you have a good handle on your home network and remote access to it!

As far as your question about the resource needs as the Pi devices.

You will be connecting to your resources over the public Internet I presume. This means that you are likely limited by the speeds of the public internet. The internal network speeds of your Pi devices will be much less of a factor. As long as you do not use the same device and cause a single point of failure, any device is ok in your situation.

If you think about it, you might also want to place the second Pi on a separate portion of your home’s wiring. That way if the breaker trips for one device the other will remain online. It isn’t a likely scenario, but something to think about along with batter backup etc.

The consideration of a dedicated device for a connector comes up for reliability purposes. You do not want to have something like PLEX running and taking the entire CPU of the device for instance. Also it wouldn’t be ideal if another process was crashing the device. Other than that you can use the device for more than the connector.

The other consideration is load. If you have heavy load going trough the connector like in a corporate environment may have then multiple connectors can be used. This is still something that takes quite a bit to get to, but something to consider since you did mention a NAS there is a small chance you are going to be transferring large files etc.

Hi Jason,

Many Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the power, all the devices on my network are backuped with UPS. So no worries here.

However, as it was the main question here : what is your recommendation for 2 identical devices to run the connectors and nothing else ?

Many Thanks,