New windows client not working on existing network, service won't start error 1064, checked registry

I have a network that has worked well. I jinxed it by telling someone twingate just works. We added a new user, just as before, about our 10th.
Twingate just won’t connect, whirs away.
Microsoft authentication works - tried upgrading to admin and new user can access admin, just no device.
Twingate service not started and gives error 1064 when trying to start manually.
We have tried repair many times and complete remove and reinstall several times.
Windows 11 Pro 22621.3007
Client can connect to twingate as if I type a wrong network name error appears.

One thing I note is the service lists as Twingate Service and not as Twingate Service rc
Installer is 2024.004.2459

Hi @ilyak,

Is the Twingate Client not working for you only or is it not working for anyone? Did anything change in your environment? (new endpoint protection solution deployed, new firewall rules, etc.).

I recommend also taking a look at the Client logs.

It’s just a bug in the latest software. I tried every possible thing, looked at alternative network solutions then after 2 days wasted tried an old installer file fortunately saved in downloads from the last person who connected a few weeks ago and it worked. So whoever updated the last client didn’t bother to test it. Ah well.

Hi @ilyak,

we do test all the components of every release (including Connector and Client) including 2024.004.2459 and checking with our Support team, I don’t see many cases that would indicate a wide problem with the current version.

Do you happen to know what version of the Client you had deployed prior to upgrading to 2024.004.2459? I wonder if it has to do with the upgrade path.

This was a new install for a new user on an unremarkable new windows 11 pro laptop, nothing special, no conflicting software - we just clicked to deploy as usual and normally it’s brilliantly seamless but here we had a hell of a problem, thought it might be not adding the new user to our account, etc etc, tracked down to service just wouldn’t start, tried everything, analysed logs, checked registry, etc etc etc. It was a final thought to dig out the install file from someone a few weeks ago who fortunately still had a copy and see if that worked and it did with everything else exactly the same. Deeply frustrating. Also we didn’t realise that as we’re only on the teams package (still costs $500) there is zero support so we had sent the troubleshooting logs off with an explanation and got nothing in response. Appreciate you charge double for support and that’s fair enough as a business decision but it would be nicer to be given the finger before you go to the trouble of submitting a support request rather than being ghosted after you do.
I must admit this experience did negatively colour my view of twingate which as I say I had literally commented was great as it just works with minimal fuss after cursing about other software we have issues with.
Experimented with zerotier as a workaround, have to admit that when Twingate works, it’s good, and easy to use, when it doesn’t it’s a pita, a bit like apple products!
So not an upgrade path problem. I am now slightly worried the existing clients will say they want to be upgraded and then stop working.

Hi @ilyak

I am very sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. Teams, as you pointed out, does not cover access to our Technical Support however the Forum is open to all and our staff monitors it for issues (although unlike Tech Support, it is not bound to a specific response time).

I took a look at your tenant information and it looks like there are about half a dozen Windows devices on Client version 2024.004.2459. Are you experiencing any issue with those?

For the device impacted, do you happen to know what version of the Client actually worked on it?

We would like to try to reproduce the issue if we can.

thank you!

Hi @ilyak,

I got a hold of the Client logs you had submitted and noticed something in it that I’d like to check out if you are open to it.

The log reports the following error message:

System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed.

I also noticed that in your log file, the hostname of the machine in question starts with a - character.

We recently fixed an incompatibility issue of the Twingate Client Installer for hostnames that start with a - and I am now wondering if the issue also impacts the Twingate Service itself.

I have asked our Support team to reproduce this to confirm but if you encounter the issue again, for now and if it isn’t too much trouble, you could try to change the first character of the hostname to something else and see if it fixes it.