Twingate update on ubuntu fails as apt repository link stale so apt update ignores

Hi,

I have twingate connectors installed on several servers (HP proliant running ubuntu jammy, focal) running direct as a systemd service.

Installation was a breeze, literally just paste curl command generated with tokens. Top marks.

Updating is a PITA. The apt repository links seem out of date so get ignored in an apt update. Some have updated. My admin console lists several needing update from 1.44 to 1.52.

I have manually reinstalled on a few machines but it’s tedious to ssh into each one and do. Haven’t taken time to investigate as it’s not a priority and someone on here must have had a similar issue and fixed.

Is there a simple fix/command/script I can ideally cut and paste and run to update without reinstalling.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the community!

I had a machine running an old version of the Connector and was able to run

sudo apt update && sudo apt install --only-upgrade twingate-connector

to bring the Connector up to the latest version. If you’ve tried that already, what issues have you ran into?

As for the repo, he current repo is https://packages.twingate.com/apt. Can you make sure that /etc/apt/sources.list.d/twingate.list has something like

deb [trusted=true] https://packages.twingate.com/apt/ /

as its contents?

I have the same issue. When carrying out apt update, apt ignores the twingate repositories. I have checked the sources.list for twingate as they are correct as per the last reply to this post. Please see my attached image:

I believe that Ign means that packages are already as up to date as they can be. Since there’s nothing new, apt isn’t pulling anything new from the repo.

What are the latest Client and/or Connector versions that you see via apt search twingate? The most recent Connector is 1.54.0 and the most recent Client is 1.0.81.

Hi Alex,

I have checked the version of the client and connector and they are upto date with the versions you listed.

I was just wondering what the Error means in my screenshot “404: Not Found IP: 34.238.14.170 443”
Does this mean the repo is pointing to the wrong IP or domain name?

This sent me down an apt rabbit hole and after all of my searching I can definitely say: I’m not sure what’s going on. :slight_smile:

One thing I know for sure: this shouldn’t affect the usability of Twingate and is and error you can ignore.

The error is that the translations file (specifically the ones for English) aren’t found. Seeing that error pop up every time you run apt update can be annoying. It’s on likely our side and we’ll dig into it.

Hi Alex,

Thank you so much for investigating this, how interesting.

I apologise, I probably should have mentioned to begin with that I’m running Twingate on Ubuntu Server 22.04!
Good luck with finding the bug!

Just want to mention that I have just deployed an Ubuntu Server 23.04 in Oracle cloud and facing the same issue. It seems it works for debian out of the box (as my other servers are debian) but it does display those errors on Ubuntu.

Is there any ETA on when this will be fixed? Or any additional workarounds?

We’re still digging into it, but the only files that are getting a 404 in your terminal are the translations files. There shouldn’t be any impact on downloading the Client or the Connector.

Twingate itself is still found and up to date, i.e. both twingate and twingate-connector were displaying their most recent versions at the time you ran the command.