Allow laptops connected via Twingate to be accessible with PDQ Deploy\Inventory

Since we switched to Twingate we have noticed that all laptops that are connected to Twingate are no longer pingable or reachable from our in house PDQ server. Not sure how this can be implemented but I would be thoroughly delighted if it could be.

Hi MParlett,

I apologize, I am not familiar with PDQ at all. Does this run an agent on the laptops that checks in with a central server? Is that central server defined as a Twingate resource? Is there any other communication that happens between Server and Laptop besides Ping that is successful, or is there no apparent connection?

Let me know!

-arthur

I second this feature request. We use PDQ Deploy and Inventory for to facilitate install of business-wide tools, windows updates etc. Inventory is synched via AD and uses ICMP, SMB protocols to communicate. It is agentless using WMI etc to get details. Link here: https://www.pdq.com/ We use the on-prem agentless versions but i believe there are also cloud/agent based versions as well.

1 Like

Ping is not successful from our on-prem PDQ server to any devices connected to Twingate. A device connected to Twingate can ping our on-prem PDQ server via IP and hostname but on-prem cannot ping the device’s IP or hostname.

Hi @MParlett34 - This would be (unfortunately) expected behaviour.

Unlike a Traditional VPN solution, Twingate doesn’t give client devices an IP on the local network, and instead route/proxies the traffic from the client, through the Twingate connectors. Therefore, to the PDQ server, all the traffic it sees coming in would appear to originate from the local IP address of the connector, and it has no way to reach directly out to the client.

I can let the product team know about your use case, but due to the nature of how Twingate works, I do not think it’s likely something we’ll be able to support anytime soon.

I apologize for the non-answer answer.

Thanks,

-arthur