Synology: Connectors not connecting

I’m trying to get Twingate working from a Synology NAS. I’ve found two slightly differing guides for doing this here and here. (They differ from each other in a few settings for the Docker container.) However, when I follow either guide, when I get to the stage where the Connector should turn up as connected on my Twingate admin page, that’s not what happens. The Connector stays greyed out and “Not yet connected”. I’m unfamiliar with both Docker and Twingate, so not sure what the next troubleshooting steps should be. Has anyone out there succeeded by following one or the other of these guides? Any advice?

Hi

Did you manage to make any progress with this ? I’m seeing exactly the same issue on my Synology NAS. Just looks like the container is “offline” in Docker … Synology firewall is off. Keen to get this sorted !

Nope; no progress. I’ve just given up on Twingate, at least for now. Tailscale seems like an alternative, and I’ve got that running much more easily. Good luck to you!

Hi,

this is possible for sure, I have it running on my own Synology:

The first guide you point to is the one I followed originally.

Is the container for your connector marked as Running in Docker on your NAS?

I’ve followed a YouTuber that does a lot of things with Synology NAS, goes by the name Marius Hosting. He uses a method inside DSM that has worked nearly flawlessly for installing things in Docker.

Go to Control Panel, select to create a user-defined scheduled task, run only once, copy and paste the typical Docker install script information in there.

Check his channel for a better description, but I took his method, copied the Docker pull command into the task, ran it … and moments later the container was online and running with no issue.

1 Like

thanks for the details @Kevin!

Some additional details on this method:

• I run the task as root (the task itself is not scheduled so I run it only when I need to install / update a Connector)
  • the command I run is the following (with my own refresh token, access token, tenant name and connector name), also, notice that I always pull the latest image so upgrading my connectors is as easy as deleting the existing running container and running this task once:
docker run -d --sysctl net.ipv4.ping_group_range="0 2147483647" --env TENANT_URL="https://<my tenant>.twingate.com" --env ACCESS_TOKEN="<my access token" --env REFRESH_TOKEN="my refresh token"  --env TWINGATE_LABEL_HOSTNAME="`hostname`" --name "<my connector name>" --restart=unless-stopped $(docker run --help | grep -- --pull >/dev/null && echo "--pull=always") twingate/connector:latest

1 Like

Quick update here for all Synology users having upgraded DSM to 7.2. Their Container management app has been rebuilt (and renamed “Container Manager”.

It’s neat, it now flags images for which there are newer versions:

And allows the admin to click “Update available” which apparently pulls the updated image, applies to to running containers and restart them:

It’s even simpler now with this new version!