Posts get auto-spammed for including links

When discussing technical things, it’s really useful to provide links (to documentation, etc.). However, the forum appears configured to be very sensitive to this.

I’ve had difficulty even making posts in the first place, and needed to edit out a bunch of links. Then today, after I posted a message containing a single (!) link, I got this email:

This is an automated message from Twingate Forum to let you know that your post was hidden.

[link redacted because I’m afraid of getting flagged more]

Your post was flagged as spam: the community feels it is an advertisement, something that is overly promotional in nature instead of being useful or relevant to the topic as expected.

This post was hidden due to flags from the community, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.

However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff.

I actually got two of these, for both of the threads I’ve created, one of which was two months ago. Since they happened immediately after I posted, it seems like there’s an automated process that saw I posted a link in one place, and then went and spammed all my other previous posts! This is pretty overly-agressive IMO, and sort of turns this into even more of a /dev/null than it already feels. It also feels dishonest because it says it was hidden by “the community”, and I’m fairly certain it was actually the software itself, not any people.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure anything changed other than an update to the forum software itself. This is an odd side effect. Thanks for pointing it out and I hope we can still help while we look at this limitation.

I tweaked the spam detection here a bit so the hopefully you’re not affected by this in the future. Your posts should be unhidden as well.

I have the similar problem regarding spam filter. The message said:

Hello,

Our automated spam filter, Akismet, has temporarily hidden your post in Unable to join network with Mac. “Unexpected network error. Try again later or contact support” for review.

A staff member will review your post soon, and it should appear shortly.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

My post is also hidden for me. How much time is usually needed for post to be moderated? I wrote it 3 weeks ago.

Hey @vman vman,

Sorry about that, we didn’t get notification your post had been muted. I’ve gone ahead and released it and I’ll respond shortly.

Thanks,

-arthur